As the design services for the AEC industry has evolved, the software aiding the design process have also evolved in parallel. Computer aided design (CAD ) has revolutionized the way design is done. Revit is a leading CAD software that is widely used by the design community for the AEC industry. Since this is a standalone tool running on individual desktops, professionals often find it difficult to transfer or transmit their drawings to the concerned as they have to upload, save or mail these drawings to relevant people which is time consuming.
This is where Smartapp’s plugin for Revit acts as a bridge between the designer/architect and the field engineers or other design colleagues by allowing the designer/architect to save their files directly into Smartapp’s Drive from within Revit.
- Desktop machine running Windows operating system (please note the plugin works on machines on which Revit is installed & runs Windows OS)
- Versions of Revit for which the plugin works - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 versions
2. Install the plugin by double clicking on it
3. The installer checks for the Revit versions installed on your local machine . Choose the versions for which you want the plug in to be installed.
4. After successful installation - launch Revit and in the toolbar look for the Smartapp menu option.
5. Click on the login button and the Smartapp login interface opens up. Enter your Smartapp credentials .
6. Upon successful login - select the project in Smartapp on which you want to work on.
7. All the menu options within the plugin viz., Select project, Open file, Save, Save As, IQ Sketch & extract PDF get enabled.
8. Click on Open File to select the file directly from the Smartapp Drive . You’ll be taken directly to the BIM folder in Drive to select the file which you want to work on in Revit.
9. Click on Save As to save the updated file from Revit to Smartapp Drive. You can rename the file and choose appropriate destination in Drive to save your file. This action invokes the IFC export and a corresponding twin IFC file is also created and gets saved to the Drive. Click on Save button to save the file to its existing location in Smartapp Drive. This action updates the existing file with the latest changes done to the file/drawing in Revit .Here too the IFC export is invoked and a corresponding twin IFC file of the file gets saved to the Drive.
11. Click on IQ Sketch button to launch our IQ Sketch tool. The current view / drawing in Revit is opened in IQSketch (please refer to the screenshot below) thus enabling the user to use all the features of the tool viz.,
Livelink - to invite and to collaborate / work on the file with project members/team. Click on the symbol (marked with a red arrow indicator in the below screenshot) to start and invite team members.
To annotate on the drawing / file
To pin smart items from the Smartapps that are available
12. Click on the PDF Extractor button to extract the associated 2D sheets from the model and save it to Drive. One can extract the sheets as a single PDF file or extract them as separate PDF files.
Last Updated: Sep-05-22